Hello,

this community continues to amaze me. For me this is really mind
blowing :-). Wow, thanks, I'm without words here. It is indeed exactly what
I could use!

Concerning the meaning of the line, I think I was right. Yesterday, on
archive.org, I found a book by Willi Appel from 1949, 'The Notation of
Polyphonic Music 900-1600', where he describes the use of these lines in
lute tablature with a transcription.
The technique was called 'close play' or 'covered play':
https://archive.org/details/notationofpolyph1953apel/page/70/mode/2up?ref=ol&view=theater&q=covered+play

Maybe this book is of interest as a source for other people who are working
on music from that time.

grtz,
Bart

https://esmiltania.be