On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 11:26, Daniel Benjamin Miller <dbmil...@dbmiller.org>
wrote:

> This works quite well for overlaying two staves.
>
> Now, I want to do something a little more complex, but in the same way,
and I'm trying to figure out the vertical axis group tweak necessary for
doing this.

> I want to have two staff groups, one layered on top of another.
>
> Basically, I am already able to layer one staff on top of another ---
call them A and B --- where A contains the musical content I want to
include and B is a dummy staff (into which I will copy the notes of a given
system as found in staff A, in order to selectively put the staff group
bracket over the "one staff" A).

> Basically, I am looking to do this for a grouper that encompasses two
parts. Here's a mockup of what I'm trying to do:

> Does anyone have advice? I've spent some time trying to tweak the
vertical properties, but (so far) haven't figured it out. Of course, as a
last resort, I could move the notes from one pair of parts to another at
layout time, but this setup would be preferable for me if it's possible to
do.

Hello Daniel,

If I understand correctly, I think you can use a combination of
"Keep_alive_together_engraver", VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer and
keepAliveInterfaces as documented in NR 1.6.2 Modifying single staves >
Hiding staves
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves

I use it regularly for staff divisi and it is usually successful.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <x.sche...@gmail.com>