While this is certainly useful, one should be aware of what is happening. With
the syntax

soprano.1 = c’4

you are not defining a variable soprano.1 as c’4, you are defining the value
corresponding to key 1 in an alist that is the value of variable soprano. This
can be very powerful, useful and stylish, but also cause problems if you’re
unaware of it, for instance: If you uncomment the fourth line in the following
example it will stop working, since you overwrite the whole variable soprano
containing the alist instead of creating a new variable with a shorter name.

\version "2.22.1"
soprano.1 = e'4
soprano.2 = c'4
%soprano = d'4
\score { <<
  \soprano.1
  \soprano.2 >> }

There is more about alists in the documentation, and they’re used in very many
places in lilypond. You can see them in the common structure Thing.property =
value , for instance in overrides.

Best
/Leo