I think most developers are used to having a full error log - which is
definitely the right default behaviour for lilypond. On the other hand I
can fully understand that especially for users that aren't used to software
development a full error log can be quite a mess to the (untrained) eye.

In this context I could imagine a paramater that kind of highlights the
first few error messages (or only shows the first N error messages) being
very forthcoming to some people without a dev background. Or maybe at the
end of the compilation output a clearly marked: "First (few?) Error(s):
...."

~Christian