> On 27 Apr 2022, at 09:06, Jimmy Wilkinson <the....@twc.com> wrote:
>
> I’d like to hear a metronome in the MIDI file generated by Lilypond. The best
> thing I can think of is to add a new voice that plays some high short note at
> the beginning of each beat. I’m hoping that there’s a better (easier?) way
> that I haven’t found.  It’d be nice if I could just ask Lilypond to do that
> and have it affect only the MIDI file and not show in the printed score.
>
> thanks

Jimmy,

The typical solution for that is an additional drum staff with high- and low
woodblocks in parallel to the actual music as shown in a snippet of the snippet
repository:
https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=876
<https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=876>

Its source code (https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=876
<https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=876>) also shows (in the comments) how
to make that drum staff only appear in the MIDI and not in the printed sheet by
using a tag for the ‘midiOnly’ drum staff

In my use I typically work with transferring final arrangements into lilypond
code so that I know the bar-counts, so I don’t use the makeUnfold function
defined in that snippet but just use \repeat \unfold as referenced in the
comments.

Kind regards,
Hans