> As I mentioned, I did try 2.23, and I applied convert-ly to all my files.
>>

> The problem I ran into was:
>
>     Preprocessing graphical objects...ERROR: In procedure
> %resolve-variable:
>     Unbound variable: laissez-vibrer::print
>
> However, unlike most of the previous errors that could be fixed,
> because they tell you a file name and line number and the offending code,
> this error does not tell me a file name nor line number.
>

> It likely will if you add at the top of your .ly file, before any includes:
>
> #(ly:set-option 'compile-scheme-code)
>
> (Caveat for other people reading this list: this does not work on Windows
> currently.)
>

> Without that, I don't know how to address the issue.
> I don't really write scheme code, so it is unlikely to be something I
> wrote.
> I have cut & pasted some scheme code from LSR into some libraries I
> include,
> but I did convert-ly on those already.
>

> How to address the issue is what I tried to explain above.
>
> You need to find where your code uses "laissez-vibrer::print"
> (compile-scheme-code should help to pinpoint it), and replace that with
> "ly:tie::print".
>
> Also, has \laissezVibrer changed since 2.22?
> Does that even sound like something that would be related to the version
> upgrade?
>

> Yes. The syntax of \laissezVibrer has not changed but there was a minor
> change in its internals.
>
> Regards,
> Jean
>

> Le 12 déc. 2022 à 08:34, Flaming Hakama by Elaine <
> ela...@flaminghakama.com> a écrit :
> Thinking about this more, it is likely that I did install the previous
> 2.22 version from homebrew.
>

> Because it certainly was a lot slower than any previous version.
>
> I guess I'll try that again.
>
> Besides wanting/needing to work right now, IIUC, the next official release
> will as usual not support contemporary macs,
>

> It definitely will.
>
> and the homebrew version of 2.24 will also likely be as slow as homebrew
> 2.22--is there any reason to think the homebrew 2.24 version will be
> compiled differently?
>

> Yes. LilyPond 2.23 supports compiling Guile bytecode, 2.22 doesn’t.

Thanks for the help and explanation.
Great news that mac will finally be supported in the post-Guile 1.8 world.

I usually don't update versions unless there is a reason,
and getting rid of artificial slowness is certainly a good one
so I will likely follow all this advice once it hits the cask.

Thanks,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator