I'm also on Ubuntu here (well, to be a bit more precise I'm using the
KUbuntu distro, but should be close enough). I tried your command and had
it fail. But, when I altered it just a bit it worked. All I had to do was
specify the full path to the convert.ly file, like this:
find . -name '*.ly' -exec
/home/michael/lilypond/lilypond-2.24.0/bin/convert-ly -e '{}' \;
Maybe give that a shot and see what happens.

Michael