>> It was diagnosed as a bug in the font (!), not in LilyPond.
>
> Yes, I saw the issue. That's extraordinarily weird.

It's not.

> It is one of the fonts installed with Microsoft Office so maybe this
> should be reported to Microsoft.

Newer versions of this font have it fixed.  For example, 'Times New
Roman' revision 6.96 (from 2016, file 'times.ttf', coming with Windows
10) no longer contains glyph names at all; it relies on the Adobe
Glyph Name list/algorithm for creating Postscript glyph names on
demand while printing if necessary.  For normal operation within Word,
glyph names are completely unnecessary.

> [image: CleanShot 2023-01-02 at 17.01.52.png]

In the lower left corner you actually see the glyph name 'N' :-)

    Werner