Note that some durations still require a tie despite using barless notation
(e.g. semibreve + crochet), so it wouldn't be completely heretical to have
a few ties across barlines. The whole problem lies in using scores instead
of partbooks. :)

I've seen one engraver use custodes at the end of a line to signal notes
being carried over the line break (rather than foreshowing the next note),
though I personally still find the empty space starting the following line
unsettling.

-David