Le vendredi 03 mars 2023 à 09:56 -0500, Mark Mathias a écrit :
> Greetings!
> Why does a String Number appear under a Horizontal Bracket in the first
> instance, but disappear in the following score?

That's tricky stuff. It has nothing to do with horizontal brackets by the way,
you can see it on the simpler example

```
\version "2.24.1"

\new Voice << { c' c' } { s\1 s-1 } >>
```

Well, for articulations, LilyPond also needs to keep track of the relationship
between notes and articulations even when several of each appear at the same
moment. Consider `<c'-1 e'-3 g'-5>`. There are several notes and several
fingerings at the same moment, and the only way LilyPond has to associate a
fingering with the right note is to look at how the input is formed. By
separating articulations from notes, you defeat this logic. Your way of
entering the music is not general, since it's unclear how you would enter that
with separate articulations: `<< <c' e' g'> ??? >>`.

For fingerings, there is separate logic that also runs for "orphaned"
fingerings and attaches them to whatever note comes. For string numbers, there
isn't. I'm not sure why. This is an area of LilyPond that has long been in sore
need of a cleanup, to be honest.

> And a tangential question: why don't certain engravers, such as
> Horizontal_bracket_engraver, have a context?

If there is no obvious default, LilyPond will let you add them yourself to the
context you want. You can add `Horizontal_bracket_engraver` on `Voice` level
but also on `Staff` level. Both have their use cases.