Thanks for the suggestions, William. I double checked the paths and
permissions, and I don't think the issue is there. I also tried directly
untaring the 2.24.1 files and that doesn't work either: the lilypond
command  returns:
/bin/sh: lilypond: not found
even though the directory in in my PATH
and the lilypond-book command returns:
/usr/bin/lilypond-2.24.1/bin/lilypond-book: exec: line 10:
/usr/bin/lilypond-2.24.1/bin/../libexec/python3.10: not found

I can install lilypond on Ubuntu by using apt-get, but for now I'm still
completely stuck on the Alpine distribution, and I don't understand these
errors.