Le lundi 24 avril 2023 à 23:33 -0400, Joel C. Salomon a écrit :

> I’m getting close to finished with my first Lilypond project, a book of some
> 30 scores.  I tried building the `\book` section piecemeal, including a
> handful of scores and tweaking the page breaks, and then another batch, and
> so on.
> ```
> \book {
>   \scoreI
>   \pageBreak
>   \scoreII
>   \pageBreak
>   \scoreIII
>   \pageBreak
>   \scoreIV
>   \scoreV
>   \pageBreak
>   …
>   \pageBreak
>   \scoreXXXI
>   \scoreXXXII
>   \pageBreak
>   \scoreXXXIII
>   \paper { min-systems-per-page = 2 }
>   \scoreXXXIV
> }
> ```

This doesn't do what you think. In `\book`, a `\paper` occurring anywhere
applies to the *entire* book, not only to the scores that follow it.

> The weird thing is, if I comment out all a few `\scoreX` statements, the page
> breaks fall where I want them.  But when I compile the whole book at once,
> some scores start to stretch across multiple pages in ugly ways.
>
> I have tried tweaking with lines like
>
> `\paper { max-systems-per-page = 8 min-systems-per-page = 5 }`
>
> in strategic places, but that still fails when I add enough scores.
>
> (It looks like perhaps using `\bookpart` around chunks of the book might
> help, but that re-prints the book header when I don’t want it to, and I’m not
> seeing how to suppress that.)

Try

```
  \bookpart {
    \paper {
      bookTitleMarkup = ##f
```

> It’s hard to give a minimal example without publishing my whole project in
> public.

It's hard to understand what the problem is without the project :-(

If you are comfortable with sending it to me privately, I can take a look.

Best,

Jean