I often do math with those :

{
  \override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)

  % Begin forte
  <>\f

  % At bar 4, mezzo piano
  s1*#(- 4 1) <>\mp

  % At bar 20, forte
  s1*#(- 20 4) <>\f

  % At bar 30, pianissimo
  s1*#(- 30 20) <>\pp

 s1\fine

}

Sure, you have to carry the last bar number and it ain't pretty but at
least the bar number is written somewhere in the code…

Hope this helps !

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier