Dear all,

Thank you very much for the time taken to comment on my problem.

I tried all the suggestions one by one - the best solution was to upgrade
to Lilypond 2.24 (much easier than I thought) and to use Jean's code below:

\version "2.24.1"

\layout {
  \context {
    \NoteNames
    noteNameFunction =
      #(lambda args
         #{ \markup \with-string-transformer #(lambda (layout props str)
(string-upcase str))
                    #(apply note-name-markup args) #})

music = \relative c { c, cis d es }

\score {