Understood.  As noted in my original post, I also still have v2.22.2 installed
which I installed with the installer.  The fact that I installed 2.22.2 with
the installer leaves me puzzled as to why I can't invoke it without the full
path.  I can, indeed, use the full path -- with quotes to cope with spaces in
folder names in Windows -- to both versions.  I checked my PATH and the
location of the LilyPond folders is in it.   I have also tried specifying the
complete paths to 'lilypond-book' for each version.  For v2.22.2 I get:

"c:/Program Files (x86)/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-book"' is not recognized as
an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

For 2.24.2 I get the 'help' file when trying it on as small test file.  No
output is produced.