Le 5 oct. 2023 à 15:49, Ian West <ian42w...@gmail.com> a écrit :

Dear Lilypond team, continuing from 1 Sept 17:43hrs. (similar problems to Mark Stephen Mrotek though he is Windows.)

I successfully used version 2.20.0 on my MacBook Air M2 2022, macOS 13.4.1 from August 2022 till July 2023. Now I cannot, and I have failed (for a month) to overcome the problem. I presumed it hit a bug, or developed a mutation. I deleated it and tried to re-extracte the zip.

I want to use my current MacBook Air M2 2022, macOS 13.4.1. I picked up the idea somewhere that the 64-bit M2 processor requires a certain version of lilypond, but I find that hard to confirm on the web. ? Is it true?

macOS 10.15 and later, which includes macOS 13.4.1 that you are using, only support running 64-bit executables, not 32-bit executables. 64-bit builds of LilyPond have only been provided since version 2.23.6.

I have been using various versions of lilipond for 13 years (versions: 2.12.3, 2.18.2-1, 2.20.0, and now 2.24.1).
I do not want to use Frescobaldi.

Why? We already helped you to increase the font size in the editor.

When I unzip 2.24.1 I find it does not contain a simple exe file with lilypond icon. It looks as though the package is designed to work with Frescobaldi and not on its own. Is that true.

Not really, but more or less, in a certain sense. It works on its own, but if you use it from the terminal. It does not provide a graphical user interface.

It is not specifically designed to work with Frescobaldi but also works with other editors, such as Spontini (but if you don't like installation procedures that don't look like "unpack .dmg and run .app", you're not going to like Spontini).

I do not want to use Frescobaldi. Are there instructions for using 2.24 WITHOUT Frescobaldi.

See above. I already explained you how to use it from the terminal back in September.

I re-extracting the lilypond-2.20.0-darwin-64.tar that I downloaded last year. That gave an error signal.

Unsurprising since this is a 32-bit download.

I downloaded lilypond-2.20.0-1.darwin-x86.tar.bz2, from

Index of /download/binaries/darwin-x86

to see if that worked as my previous build 20200311175017. It did not. Perhaps because it is for Windows, while I am macOS.

No, it's for macOS (this is what "darwin" in the name means, it's the name of the macOS kernel), but 32-bit.

The page https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/darwin-x86/ contains a warning that these are old downloads (this warning was added recently).

There was a 'Stop' sign (white anulus and bar) over the icon and does not work. Should this be explained?

Last year I downloaded MacPorts-2.7.2-12-Moneteray.pkg, but I have no idea why, nor what it does, nor if I used it.

I could explain it, but in short, it is not the solution to your problem.