On 12/7/2023 12:21 PM, Jean Abou Samra wrote:

Documentation question from trying to understand *location* in David's solution:

Guessing, is sip a stream input pointer? _Where would I look to find the definition/example of sip?_

 *location* doesn't return a string but a special type of location/input object.

The name "sip" is a bit weird; looking in the commit that added the code 19 years ago, it looks like it was meant as "smob input" (where smob = Scheme object = LilyPond C++ object made available to Scheme).

Thanks for the explanation, Jean.

The technical glossary (https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/technical-glossary) does include smob but not sip.

And I had misinterpreted *location* as either an attempt at emphasis in email and/or short for insert-your-location-here rather than literally executable scheme code.

Is that construct (*location*) a general scheme syntax (so that some *foo* could be also be meaningful), or perhaps is it a reserved word?

My attempts to search the Lilypond index for *location* seemed to ignore the asterisks or take them as wild-cards.  Ditto when trying the sphinx search icon in your https://extending-lilypond.gitlab.io/en/scheme/.

Not to snark, but perhaps I should cease my hunting of the elusive *sip* for fear that it is a boojum, causing me to softly and suddenly vanish away.

Thanks,
Je...