Hello,

Often, multiple voices in a score have the same lyrics, or the lyrics have repeating components (such as lines from a poem). Is there a way to automatically add extender lines to melismata in the lyrics?

I found this old project: https://github.com/lyp-packages/auto-extenders, but, at as far as I can understand the code, it adds extenders indiscriminately to /every/ syllable.

I think the best way to go about this is to check whether the note or chord in the associated voice at the same musical moment as a lyric has a shorter duration than the lyric, and add an extender if it does. Alternatively, perhaps one could emulate the manner in which Lilypond itself detects melismata (by slurs, manual beams when auto beaming is off, or by the \melisma command).

I would appreciate some help with actually implementing that, as I don't know enough about Lilypond internals to do it by myself.

P. S. I found an old (~2007) message on the lilypond-devel list, asking for something similar, though it doesn't appear to have any replies.