Jacques, always specify which version of lilypond you are using. This might give relevant information about what can be going wrong.

Your code works fine here on version 2.5.32 (windows); I think you told me you're using 2.5.11 (mandrake), right? I think that should be fine in your version too (not completely sure though).

The problem may be in the changes you privately told me you made manually from:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-04/txt2Jycv5O28l.txt

to your files. Review any eventual mistake in these changes.

Vincent