msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca writes:

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2024, Volodymyr Prokopyuk wrote:
>
>> My motivation behind using lilypond in a pipeline is to speed up PDF
>> generation by avoiding storing intermediary files on disk. The pipeline I'd
>
> Is that issue real?  In Linux and most other operating systems,
> intermediate "files" will be written to and read from the buffer cache at
> RAM speed and only later go to the disk in the background.

That depends on the file system and its synchronization model. I once
sped up a script to control a cluster by more than factor 10 by avoiding
intermediate writes to the shared network filesystem of the cluster
nodes. That made the difference between 15 minutes and 30 seconds
runtime.

Best wishes,
Arne
--