Ah, that makes sense. I can see how the behavior would be useful there.

I think part of the surprise is that when writing \new Dynamics voices I
will only use spacer rests, and typically only specify the "s" the first
time, leaving the rest of the piece described with just durations.

\new Dynamics {
    s1
  | 2\< 2\>
  | 1\!
}

But if I try to use spacer rests in a musical context with pitches, then
the compiler stops remembering the "s".

\version "2.25.6"

{
    c'4 4 4 4
    % These are still "c"s
  | s4 4 4 4
}

Would it be reasonable for this to be configurable, so that different parts
could remember or forget rests as needed?