Hello,

I  seem to  have some  fundamental  misunderstanding about  how the  __
extender is to  be used in lyrics. It seems  that under some conditions
it doesn't behave as I would expect but I may be doing it wrong.

Given the  following example, what am  I doing wrong? It  works fine for
stanza 3 as I  would expect, but for stanzas 1 and 2  it seems that what
I'm doing causes the extender to go beyond where I would expect it.

It there any better way than what  was done in stanza 4 because the fake
extender never seems to have  the correct length---it's either too short
or  too long?  Perhaps  something  could be  done  differently with  the
musical expression?

%%%%%%%
\version "2.22.2"

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "letter")
}

\score {
  <<
    \new ChoirStaff {
      <<
        \new Staff {
          <<
            \time 12/8
            \new Voice = "voice" {
              \relative c'' {
                a8 b c r4. r a8 b c
                d,( e4~) e4. r4 \parenthesize f8 g g a
                g2. r

        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" {
          \set stanza = "1. " Sing -- ing o sing -- ing a |
          song, __ _ sing -- ing a
          song.
        }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" {
          \set stanza = "2. " Some -- one sang.  They sang a
          song, __ \skip 1 a -- bout no --
          thing.
        }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" {
          \set stanza = "3. " Sang a song? Who sang a |
          song? __ I sang a long
          song.
        }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" {
          \set stanza = "4. " Here a song.  The song is |
          "gone,_" _ I can -- not
          sing.

%%%%%%%

Thanks,