> I'm trying to have some notes cross from the lower staff to the
> upper staff but want the beam to automatically center.  In my
> example this is accomplished in measure 3 with much manual work.  Is
> there a better way?

No, there isn't – in general, how shall LilyPond know which note
belongs to which staff?  However, you can define shortcuts to reduce
typing, for example

```
U = \change Staff = "up"
D = \change Staff = "down"

{
  r8 a \U c \D a \U d ...
}
```

[Of course, our Scheme wizards may produce a solution to automatically
 split notes between the upper and lower staff depending on a pitch
 threshold; this might be nice for simple cases.]

    Werner