Hi all,

It is difficult to put into words how happy I am using Lilypond. I had to use
Sibelius for a project last year, and it was pure torture. As the old saying
[almost] goes: “They’ll have to pry Lilypond out of my cold, dead hands!”

Exhibit A: I’m in data-entry mode (i.e., not concerned about visuals/tweaking
*at all*), and the screenshot attached is what the top half of the page of my
octavo score looks like at this moment. Incredible! There are zero [!!] manual
tweaks on that page — what you see is what comes out “automagically”, based
solely on Lilypond’s amazing layout engine and my stylesheets.

So obviously what follows is a “first world problem” of the highest order…

If you look at the first measure of the third system, you can see that the note
spacing is distorted by various things (lyrics, accidentals, etc.). But clearly
there’s more than enough horizontal room to make those eighth notes absolutely
even — in fact, that kind of thing is what the majority of my post-data-entry
tweak time is dedicated to. [Again: When I used Finale <shudder>, it took hours
or even days to get from “the data is all in” to looking like this already
looks… so I’m not complaining!]

I would love to be able to say “Dear Specialized Scheme Engraver: Please take
measure 7, even out the note-spacing, and make the ‘obvious’ necessary
adjustments so that everything looks amazing.”

How difficult would such a function/engraver be to design?

Thanks,
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.