I would expect all current versions of LilyPond would run on Windows 8.1.  However, Windows 8 is so far out of support, it would not have been tested and therefore is not publicised.

On 14/05/2024 14:43, Giles Boardman wrote:
Thanks again Xavier. You are very patient - I have just sat down at my up-to-date computer and the difference between the versions' functionality is enormous. If I'd realised, I would have bitten the bullet and had fewer questions and taken up less of everyone's time. My apologies. Out of interest, is there somewhere that tells me the last version of Lilypond that would run on Windows 8.1. Perhaps there is a sweet spot for me - my layout requirements are largely satisfied by these very simple layouts.
*From:* Xavier Scheuer <x.sche...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* 14 May 2024 14:08
*To:* Giles Boardman <giles.board...@hotmail.co.uk>
*Cc:* Kieren MacMillan <kie...@kierenmacmillan.info>; lilypond-user@gnu.org <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
*Subject:* Re: Naming lines of music
On Tue, 14 May 2024 at 14:44, Giles Boardman <giles.board...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello Kieren/Xavier,
>
> I wasn't going to be picky per Kieren's ** but ...........
>
> ........... using Xavier's code (override Score.RehearsalMark.self-alignment-X = #LEFT) I have a whole page of music and the tunes are in different keys, so aligning to the Key signature is giving me an unsightly wiggly vertical look. Can I align to the clef or the Time signature?

Hello,

See Timothy's answer (left-edge and link to IR).

\override Score.RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols = #'(clef)
\override Score.RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols = #'(time-signature)
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/aligning-objects#using-the-break_002dalignable_002dinterface
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/aligning-objects#using-the-break_002dalignable_002dinterface

You could also change the break-align-anchor-alignment of KeySignature (NR same reference).

> Or is there a line title, like the variables for "Composer" Piece" etc. I looked, but I haven't found anything obvious.

I would use "piece", but actually you could even define your own custom header field and custom layout for titles.
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/custom-titles-headers-and-footers#custom-layout-for-titles

Kind regards,
Xavier