Hi folks,

I'm writing a resource for beginner musicians, and many of the early
exercises I'm writing don't use staff lines (Lilypond's 'easy play' feature
is very useful here!)

One problem I have--it's very difficult to distinguish minim/half-note
rests from semibreve/full-note rests, because they're essentially the same
glyph but situated either above or below a staff line. When displaying
these symbols without a staff it's fairly common to add a short line at the
appropriate place on the glyph so the type of rest can easily be
determined. I can't think of any straightforward way to do this in LilyPond
though.

Has anyone else found a way around this problem?

Cameron Horsburgh