> How can I draw a vertical (or even diagonal) line independently
> positioned from the notes in the score, that can span across staves,
> as shown in the figure?

The question is formulated in a very broad way.  Assuming that you
want to draw something completely independent of the score, you might
use a zero-dimension markup at the very beginning.  Together with
adjusting some paper variables, it shouldn't have an impact on
everything else.

    Werner

\markup \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0) foo

<<
  { f'2 f' f' f' f'1 }
  { d'2 d' d' d' d'1 }

\paper {
  markup-markup-spacing.basic-distance = 0
  markup-markup-spacing.minimum-distance = 0
  markup-markup-spacing.padding = 0

  markup-system-spacing.basic-distance = 0
  markup-system-spacing.minimum-distance = 0
  markup-system-spacing.padding = 0

  top-markup-spacing.basic-distance = 0
  top-markup-spacing.minimum-distance = 0
  top-markup-spacing.padding = 0