> Thankfully, it should be trivial to make the changes.  The question
> now is what reference glyph is the best?

If you have an argument, the shape should enclose it symmetrically
(more or less) – it is up to you how sophisticated the algorithm is to
do that in the visually most pleasing way (i.e., how near the
polygon's shape comes to the argument's bounding box).  If there is an
empty argument I suggest that you select a size that fits well with
surrounding text, again to your liking.  As soon as you provide a
Merge Request (and I really hope that you submit one!) we will most
certainly tell you whether the size are OK :-)

    Werner