On 18/06/2024 00:00, Paul Hodges wrote:
Not necessarily.  Your rule is similar to what Read recommends; but the rule in Gould (which LilyPond generally follows) is based around placing the highest accidental first, then the lowest, and alternating towards the middle.  But it's not as simple as that when covering a wide range of possible chords!

And possibly not on topic for this particular question, but Gould is mid-20th-century.

What if, as I often do, I'm copying sheet music that was printed before Gould was born ...

Style guides are great, don't get me wrong, but don't use them where they're not appropriate - and that could include cases where the style guide is older than the style of music and actually makes matters worse! Sounds like that could be the case here.

I often get seriously frustrated with lilypond (I think it's got a lot better recently - my coding style is from a rather old lilypond) because for my style of music it emphasises readability over playability. Not good...

Cheers,
Wol