On 27/07/2024 11:56, Kevin Cole wrote:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2024 at 6:25 AM Kieren MacMillan <kie...@kierenmacmillan.info <mailto:kie...@kierenmacmillan.info>> wrote:

    Hi Kevin,

     > As I experiment, I've thought about playing my wee and few
    compositions backwards. I'm wondering if someone's already come up
    with a relatively simple way to reverse the order of the notes in a
    score.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/changing-multiple-pitches#retrograde
    ?

<https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/changing-multiple-pitches#retrograde?>?

    Hope that helps!

It does indeed! My musical vocabulary is lacking. I had no idea what to call "reversing the score". Thanks, Kieren!

(And I see "inversion" on the same page, which I may fool around with as well, once I get the full grasp of how it "flips things upside-down".)

"Retrograde" to me is an astronomical term, and no I wouldn't have thought of applying it to music, either. But playing music backwards was, if I recall correctly, one of Beethoven's party tricks - along with upside down and possibly several others ...

(Retrograde motion is when a satellite is orbiting with a reverse rotation to what it's orbiting. If you check out our solar system, for the most part everything is spinning/rotating the same way. The moon is "tidally locked", so that one rotation = one orbit, so the moon is on the boundary of ?prograde and retrograde motion.

Cheers,
Wol

Cheers,
Wol