This sort of worked, whereas the other two suggestions did not work at all.
However what it did not do was raise the word 'Moderato' above the tempo marking the word Pelleagato appears next to the tempo marking which would be sufficient/acceptable except I still don't know what is going on. My guess is that s1^ is doing something even though it's doing something different in each case- which means that I don't know what/why. I suspect that Han-Wen did answer thoroughly but I accidently deleted that response.
I apologize.
Jay

Martial wrote:

\once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
\markup{ \italic Moderato }

test this :

{
\once \override TextScript #'padding = #2.0
s1^\markup{ \italic Moderato }
s1^\markup{ Pelleagato }

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com