My best proposal is to typeset the ChordNames below the
lyrics. When there is lyrics, you move the ChordNames up
and the lyrics down (I would have used the extra-offset
property, but it seems that you have found another option).

I found another option, yes, but it did not work (Y-offset that is)
But thanks for steering me in the right direction,

it seems changing Y-offset also affects surrounding grobs, while extra-offset just moves the one affected.

(Looking again in the reference, the extra-offset seems obvious now: "This offset is added just before outputting the symbol, so the typesetting engine is completely oblivious to it. "
but that Y-offset affects surrounding grobs is not obvious from the reference (for me at least) "The vertical amount that this object is moved relative to its Y-parent")

I now solved it by typesetting the ChordNames below the lyrics, and
tweak the chord with
\once \override ChordName #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 10)

and tweaking each of the lyric verses with
 \override LyricText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -4)

and after that I get the output I want (see attachment)

I mention this in the event it benefits another user..

regards,

Simon

Simon Dahlbacka wrote:

> I'm trying to typeset a SATB piece, with chords for piano
>
> The problem:
>
> the sopranos partially have their own lyrics (three verses, so it
> takes a lot of room)
>
> If I put the ChordNames above the lyrics, the placement of the chords
> looks rather stupid where the sopranos sing the same as the rest,
> I tried putting the cords under the lyrics and tweak the cordnames up
> above the lyrics where necessary, but this also moves the lyrics up
>
> I tried putting the ChordNames under the lyrics, and moving up, but
> this was not successful.
>
> * I tried doing the moving with
> \once \override ChordNames.ChordName #'Y-offset = #6
> and
> %\once \override ChordNames.ChordName #'Y-offset = #-6
>
> respectively
>
> Attached2, and chords above with tweak, and chords below with tweak
>

> What I would like: I want the chordnames  "under" where there are no
> special soprano lyrics, but "over" the special soprano lyrics. How can
> I accomplish such a thing?
>
> regards,
>
> Simon
>
> PS. lily 2.8.4 on winxp