Good day.

I'm very new to lilypond, and I have no musical background. (Just thought
I'd get that out of the way).  My wife does though, and some of her loose
sheet music is getting ratty, so I thought I'd transcribe some of it into a
file for lilypond so I could print it out and it would nice and clean.

I've come across many problems while doing this, but I've been able to find
answers to all my questions (by either reading the lilypond website or
searching for clues using google) save one.  I just can't for the life of me
figure out how to combine two sets of verses into one centered chorus.  I
know this may sound strange and/or anal, but a picture is worth a thousand
words, so with the following code:

\relative c' {
        \new Staff <<
                \key es \major
                \time 4/4
                {
                        c c c c
                        r d d d
                        f2 f
                }
                \addlyrics {
                        \set stanza = "1. "
                        This is verse one.
                        This is the chor -- us.
                }
                \addlyrics {
                        \set stanza = "2. "
                        This is verse two.

I produce this output:

http://www.uncon.com/reverend/misc/lilypond_lyrics_bad.png

What I'm looking to achieve is this:

http://www.uncon.com/reverend/misc/lilypond_lyrics_good.png

I just used some image editing software to produce the above image.

Can anyone shed any light on how I can achieve the desired results?

Thank you very much for your time.

J.