Hi Patrick,
thanks a lot for your help! The option --left-padding=0 reduced the redundant
space on the left side and improved the layout on the right side of the
fragment within the brackets. I don't want to be pedantic ;-) but is there an
option to get rid off the space on the right side (fragment ) like
--right-padding=0
I'm quite unsure what's the reason for this. I've looked at the eps file lilypond generates - there's no extra space. That's why I think it's an issue with LaTeX, but I don't really know how to improve this...sorry for that.

Michael