> I don't find if very useful at all. Why would you want negative page
> numbers
> on some pages?

Well, the purpose would be to have front matter as part of the same file -
such as an instrumentation list and performance notes - but to start page
numbering with the first page of the score, as is customary.  So I would
like to be able to have a few pages before the first page of score, and then
start the score on page 1, with the first page number appearing on page 2.
I much prefer to have it all as one file at the outset.

That way I can automate the process for each score more readily, with
templates for title pages, instrumentations, notes, and page numbering.