I might just be adding to the noise level, but my quick-n-dirty workaround
to multiple verses that follow refrains is to paste in a bunch of empty
quotes - one pair per syllable.  And once you have the set for verse 2
(verse 1 will have the refrain, of course), you just paste the whole set of
quotes into the other verses.

I just put together an entire hymnal this way.

And thanks to Trevor for showing us the "right way".  Should I ever actually
wrap my brain around his approach, I know I will be a better lilypond coder
for it.

Best,

Jay