Am 02.06.2008 um 09:57 schrieb Valentin Villenave:

2008/6/1 James E. Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

How coincidental. I've been wondering myself about the difference between \new and \context. I kinda just use them interchangably and see if anything
new happens.

The only difference AFAIK is that \context allows you to tap into an
existing context:

\new Staff = "coolStaff" " { (your music here) }

and then later:

\context Staff = "coolStaff" % look! the same context!
                                  { (your other music here) }

Cheers,
Valentin

But couldn't you do that with coolStaff = { (my music here) }

\context Staff = \coolStaff

?