On 17.11.2008 (19:49), Derek Schmidt wrote:
> Graham,
>
> I did briefly look at that chapter. What I really need to know is:
> will it take away any bar lines? Or at least let me decide where to
> put them?
>
> I actually don't want the Gregorian style (or, at least, that's not
> what I'm working on). I don't know enough about Gregorian chant to
> know if it's similar (for all intents and purposes) to Slavic and
> Byzantine chant.
>
> Thanks again,

Actually, most of the relevant chapter has been updated, but not the parts
about working with chant in modern notation. Until then, you may find the
attached file useful. It was made to mimic a very specific layout, but you
may play around with some of the settings in the layout section.

There are also some useful hints in the lsr.

Eyolf

--
  This report is filled with omissions.
\version "2.11.60"

\header {
  title = ""
	subtitle = ""
	subsubtitle = ""
	composer = ""
	poet = ""
	tagline = ##f
}

% This setting corresponds to the mystaffsize variable defined in layout
% section below.
#(set-global-staff-size 14)

genStuff = {
	\key c\major
	\time 4/4
}

%======================================================================
% The following sections are "variables" with the different melodies,
% defined here and entered into the score later on. This is a convenience
% to make the file easier to read. It is not strictly necessary -- it could
% all have been written directly into the \score section, but it is more
% organized this way.
%
% I've found it most convenient in situations like this, with several
% different melodic versions of possibly different length vertically
% aligned, to use tuplets (defined with "\times x/y {}").
%
% \startGroup and \stopGroup are for the brackets. The \markup command is a
% hack to get the label in place; here, it's tied to a note within the
% bracket. I haven't figured out how to tie them to the brackets
% themselves. "^" means: place above staff. "_" would place it below.
%======================================================================

Lo = \relative c'' {
	\genStuff
	\clef treble
	\set Staff.instrumentName = "Lo4951"

	\times 4/9 { c\startGroup c c d c^\markup{a} b a a g\stopGroup }
	\times 4/7 { s s s g a g s }
	\times 4/9 { a\startGroup b c b a^\markup{c} c a a g\stopGroup }
}

PaA = \relative c'' {
	\set Staff.instrumentName = "Pa776"
	\genStuff
	\clef treble

	\times 4/9 { c\startGroup c c d c^\markup{a} b a a g\stopGroup }
	\times 4/8 { a\startGroup c b a^\markup{b} g g a g\stopGroup }
	s1
}

PaB = \relative c'' {
  \genStuff
	\clef treble
	\set Staff.instrumentName = "Pa780"

	\times 4/9 { c4\startGroup c c d c^\markup{a} b a a g\stopGroup }
	\times 4/8 { a\startGroup c b a^\markup{b} g g a g\stopGroup }
	\times 4/9 { a\startGroup b c b a^\markup{c} c a a g\stopGroup }

}

textA = \lyricmode {
%======================================================================
% if you want text in the examples, fill them in here, syllables separated
% with <space>--<space>, and add "\new Lyrics \textA" (etc.) at the place
% in the score declaration below where you want the text to appear
%======================================================================
}

%======================================================================
% Here, the variables defined above are entered into the score. The <<...>>
% indicates "polyphonic music", i.e. separate staves.
%======================================================================

\score {
	\new StaffGroup {
	<<
	  \new Staff \Lo
	  %\new Lyrics \textA
	  \new Staff \PaA
	  \new Staff \PaB

	}

%======================================================================
% Everything below this point is settings to override standard notation to
% get stemless notes etc., and to get a layout which you can copy to
% all the different files. Even better: save it in a separate file in the
% same directory as the music files, e.g. layout.ly and add the line

% \include "layout.ly"

% at this point. Then, if you want to make changes, you can do them in one
% place instead of in every single file.
%
% You will need to change the font tree, since you won't have these fonts
% installed. They are the serif, the sans-serif, and the monospaced fonts,
% in that order.
%======================================================================

\layout {
	indent = 0\cm
	ragged-last = ##t
	myStaffSize = #14
	#(define fonts
			(make-pango-font-tree
			"JensonOSN"
			"Futura Bk BT"
			"Lucida Console"
			(/ myStaffSize 20)))
	line-width = 11.75\cm
	left-margin = 2\mm
	ragged-bottom = ##t
	ragged-bottom-last = ##t
	between-system-space = 9\mm
	paper-width = 12\cm
	paper-height = 20\cm
	page-top-space = 0\cm
	head-separation = 0\cm
	evenFooterMarkup = ##f
	oddFooterMarkup = ##f
	oddHeaderMarkup = ##f
	evenHeaderMarkup = ##f
	bookTitleMarkup = ##f
	scoreTitleMarkup = ##f
	\context {
		\Voice
			\remove "Stem_engraver"
			\remove "Tuplet_engraver"
			\override NoteHead #'style = #'baroque
			\remove "Note_spacing_engraver"
	}
	\context {
		\Staff
			\remove "Time_signature_engraver"
			%\override BarLine #'X-extent = #'(-1 . 1)
			\consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver"

	}
	\context {
		\Score
			\override HorizontalBracket #'direction = #1
			\override HorizontalBracket #'bracket-flare = #'(0.2 . 0.2)
			\override BarLine #'hair-thickness = #0.5
			\override BarNumber  #'padding = #2
	}
	\context {
		\StaffGroup
			\remove "System_start_delimiter_engraver"
	}
  } % this brace ends the \layout section
} % this brace ends the \score section