I'm running Lilypond 12 on a Mac, using an external editor (TextMate), which
generally works
quite well. But I play trombone, and must create parts and scores involving
sliding into
notes. Lilypond produces some bizarre output. The example below illustrates
the ugly output my
innocence led me into when I print a score. (Print the first example to
see.)

The lilypond docs address this under grace notes.

Grace note synchronization can also lead to surprises. Staff notation, such
as key signatures,
bar lines, etc., are also synchronized. Take care when you mix staves with
grace notes and
staves without, for example,

\relative c'' {
<< \new Staff { e4 \bar "|:" \grace c16 d4 }
   \new Staff { c4 \bar "|:"  d4 } >>
}

The "solution" is to include skips in all other parts, for example:

\relative c'' {
<< \new Staff { e4 \bar "|:" \grace c16 d4 }
   \new Staff { c4 \bar "|:" \grace s16 d4 } >>
}

This seems a little less than ideal (read "I consider it a bug"). One must
alter one part to
accommodate characteristics of another part. Is there a way to avoid this
problem which doesn't
involve putting stuff into a part which (arguably, I guess) isn't really
present in that part?

A scoop might do the job, but isn't defined in Lilypond. I've seen them
presented, though, and
will go searching for how to draw them if that's the answer.

Lewy