On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Mark Polesky <markpole...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Federico Bruni wrote:
> > from my privileged position of newbie ;-)
> > I have a suggestion for a very tiny edit in the Notation
> > Reference which might ease the understanding for new users.
> >
> > This is the page (section Selected Snippets):
> >
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Inside-the-staff#Fingering-instructions
> >
> > What is missing there, IMHO, is a clear statement like
> > "left-hand fingerings must be entered within a chord construct
> > <> (i.e.: even single notes must be enclosed by < >)".
> >
> > There is a similar sentence in the right-hand fingering chapter:
> >
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-for-fretted-strings#Right_002dhand-fingerings
> >
> > So why don't you add in the left-hand as well?
> >
> > I've lost hours trying to figure out why left orientation worked
> > just for chords and not for single notes.
> > That sentence would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.
>
> Sorry to hear about your frustrations -- I totally understand! And
> thanks (very much) for alerting us to a potential source of
> confusion. Remember that LilyPond is still a work-in-progress, and
> everyone can help! We usually try to clarify sources of confusion
> pretty quickly, so these reports are useful. However, it's better
> to offer suggestions like this to the developers' mailing list at
> lilypond-de...@gnu.org.
> archive - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/
>
> I guess the best place to add this would be in the snippet called
> "Controlling the placement of chord fingerings" in the "Fingering
> instructions" section. Probably the title should be changed to
> "Controlling the placement of fingerings", because apparently the
> placement of single-note fingerings is also dependent on the <...>
> construct. The snippet *does* provide examples of single notes
> enclosed in <...>, but I admit it would be easy for a novice to
> overlook the significance of this.

Ok I've updated two of those snippets in LSR to give this explicit warning,
something that gave me fits when I was working on the fretted strings
section last year, too.  We added the example with the single notes in
chords at some point but a warning is appropriate here.  The changes should
make it into the development docs in the next couple of days, if I
understand the way this works.

Best,

Jon
--