Hello,

I'm planning to build an experiment consisting of a project service for
collaborative editing & versioning of music files. My objective is to engage
more artists in the kind of collaborative work that happens between
free/open source software contributors. After a long time when I was
designing complex contributing models between artists and complex tools to
help them do their work, I've decided to start with standard software
repository tools (git, bazaar), gather some feedback and start from there.

Lilypond is a good start as a collaborative music sharing format because
it's clean text and has a clear language grammar. Thus the lilypond's
format is compatible with current software versioning tools, so interested
project members don't have to reinvent the concept of versioning system to
support binary music files.

As for the technical/legal details, the planned experiment is a hosted site
is based on Gitorious.org software, licensed under AGPL v3. I chose
Gitorious.org software over Launchpad.net since it seemed easier to install
- please suggest other alternative software pieces. I would expect that most
of the music will be under some libre license (free art license, CC-BY,
CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-SA-NC,...). Libre licensing of music would be available for
everyone, while proprietary music licensing should only be available to
paying customers.

One aspect that keeps me up at night is that after the experiment is
finnished, this service must support itself (money-wise), so I'm considering
for finnancial support: donnations, subscriptions for extra features (such
as more space), partnerships.

Should you be intereseted in some early "alpha testing" of this service,
please reply to this mail. I'm trying to figure out how many users this
service will have, please suggest some numbers.

All well,
BogdanBiv

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay:
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html