Why not spend a minute to find an authoritative answer before sending speculations to the list? See for example Sect. 3.2.2 Explicitly instantiating voices of the Learning Manual or examples like
http://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@gnu.org/msg38804.html

   /Mats

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Bertalan,

Are you sure? I think I remember that << { c } \\ { d } >>
Will make the c to be in a Voice called "a", so
\context Voice = "a" { e << { c } \\ { d } >> }

will make the e and c in the same voice.

I believe it's "1".

Cheers,
Kieren.

        Mats Bengtsson