Hi LilyPond gurus and friends,

I have been helping on Wikipedia lately and one thing I see is lots of PNG
images of musical notation.  These start to look nasty when the pages are
viewed at browser zooms other than 100%.  It would be great to convert these
to SVG; indeed, many are tagged as needing this according to Wikipedia
guidelines on vector-based images.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano (the range image)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehearsal_letter

What I'd like to know is whether SVG output from LilyPond is ready yet for
this task?  I've seen some previous discussions on SVG output having been
broken and recently repaired in the current beta versions.  I've tried some
suggested solutions but haven't got it working yet.

Specifically, I'd like it to be simple to specify just the music content
(even just a clef and two notes forming an interval) and create an SVG image
file suitable for uploading to Wikimedia commons (for use in all languages
of Wikipedia around the world).

Can lilypond fit the image size snuggly around the music (with no footer or
tagline) rather than fitting the music to a specified page size?  The
snippets database appears to produce output like this.

Are there any concerns about the images not being viewable on some browsers
or operating systems (e.g. missing fonts)?

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

cheers,
   Steve.