scheme guides I've used (found with a search engine):

   http://www.cs.hut.fi/Studies/T-93.210/schemetutorial/schemetutorial.html
scheme tutorial by Catharina Candolin   [clearly laid out]

   http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html teach
yourself scheme in fixnum days   [with a good index for finding commands]

   http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/ schemers.org   [the
nitty-gritty on syntax and each command]

Once you've digested the syntax, the info in the manual (usually) makes more
sense.

David

Yes, I thought that may be the only way to do it since the 'obvious'
Lilypond syntax seemed to stall.   I have tried to get into Scheme but I
have always found it rather opaque, despite having some programming
experience, and the information in the manuals doesn't seem to help (me)
much.
 Is there an 'idiot's' guide out there somewhere?