Greetings, Aaron -

I found I had the same problem running Lilypond 2.12 under Ubuntu. It
occurred when I reached a certain number of scores in a single .ly file. I
was able to continue working on the project by commenting out most of the
scores and just working on a few. Actually, the PostScript (.ps) file
compiled, and it was only the .pdf that was not produced. I found that,
although it took much longer, I could still produce the .pdf by waiting
until the .ps file was produced and I got the "cannot allocate memory"
message. Then I ran ps2pdf on the .ps file and got my .pdf with no problem.

Hope this helps,

Ralph

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Aaron Dalton <aa...@daltons.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Graham Percival wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM,  <aa...@daltons.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I have had no problems whatsoever up until today.  Lilypond-book compiles
>>> the first madrigal fine, but when it goes to do a second (order doesn't
>>> seem to matter), I get the above error.
>>>

>> You could try altering the LILYPOND_GC_YIELD environment variable
>> (discussed in the AU or Usage manual; see "command-line usage").
>>
>> Also, start commenting things out until you have the smallest possible
>> file that demonstrates this problem.  If you start doing this, you'll
>> probably discovered that you have something weird like
>>  \repeat 22 {blah blah}
>> instead of
>>  \repeat 2 {blah blah}
>>

>> UItimately, computers are not magic; if it used to work, then look at
>> all the changes you made between versions.  You *do* store your thesis
>> in svn or git or something like that, right?  :)
>> (failing that, look at the last time you made backups... or just start
>> commenting stuff out)
>>

> Thank you for your help, Graham.  I *do* use SVN thankfully.  You couldn't
> manage a big project like this without it.  At least, I have no idea how all
> these other students do!  What is odd to me is I can build all the scores
> fine independently (using just "lilypond").  I've added some new lilypond
> fragments to one of my chapters, so I'm trying to see if I can find a
> problem there (even though that's not where lilypond-book is dying).  I'll
> let you know if I find anything.
>
> Thanks again for your time.
> Aaron

Ralph Palmer