Amico,

Thanks for pointing out CarMusTy. It seems to be in the earlier stages of
development. Interestingly it uses Latex (xetex) under the hood. I was
looking for either Latex or Lily solution. Will keep a note of it and try it
out when a working version is ready.

My turn - there's another Carnatic Music Typesetter, an online app here:
http://arunk.freepgs.com/cmnt/newsong.html

and this page describes the tool and there are some examples too.
http://arunk.freepgs.com/wordpress/cm-typesetter/about/

This is also an interesting tool, where you type in your notes and lyrics in
English/phonetic, and it can generate notation in Devanagiri/Hindi, Tamil,
Telugu, Kannada, and Malayalam.

One minor drawback in this (and similar) Indian notation tools is, the
output is not flexible or customizable. They generate notation like fixed
tables, 4 notes - 4 notes - 4 notes.... 'phrasing' doesn't exist. Lilypond
excels in spacing and phrasing. With Latex, it should be possible with some
tweaking.

Thanks for sharing.

Ananth