Thanks!   I had given up since my permutations did not work the first time,
but since you so succintly repeated it, I thought I might have missed
something so I went back and tried it again.

Yes, \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn works as you've described.  The trick is you
do need the \change Staff and a \stemUp or Down depending.  The note heads
don't merge on different staves.  Obviously...