Interesting.

I spent an hour or so doing various searches looking for court decisions and
came up blank; I'm wondering if we're making a "mountain out of a
mole-hill"? Can somebody find an instance of a music publisher suing
somebody over such things? Like I say I couldn't find any with my average
search skills; it would certainly be illuminating to see how the courts have
ruled however. I'm wondering if fingerings and/or phrasing slurs are even
copyrightable: is a suggestion on how to solve a technical problem
copyrightable? If so, couldn't one copyright a golf swing? It starts to look
ridiculous - which may explain the lack of easily-located court cases.

Just thinking out loud.
M.