Hello,

My Max/MSP Lilypond input patch is going well but I'm stuck on one feature I
wanted to include.

I have a set of three tables per key signature I am referring to in the
event a user wants to use the less likely options for how to notate a note
given its MIDI pitch (i.e. note number 60 could be c, but also a bis or
deses). If a user wants to toggle between options, to do this I want to
initially markup the notes with "index" numbers using fingering markup for
an unintended purpose. To my amazement, without overriding the fingering
markup command accepts numbers up to 9, but anything two digits or above
produces an "unexpected string" error.

Is there a way I can override this to tag a note with any number I want?
Then users can specify the note numbers they want toggled to alternate
versions.

Thanks for any help!