On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:43 AM, David Rogers
<davidandrewrog...@gmail.com>wrote:

> * Marc Weber <marco-owe...@gmx.de> [2011-03-14 04:01]:
>

>  -- O -- (O is the body of a note here)
>> -- O --
>>
>> the interval between both pitches depends on the location.
>> Why?
>>
>> Why should e-g be different from g - h ?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to assign notes (c,d,e,..) natural numbers?
>> then define
>>
>> could be:
>> ---O- nr 16
>> ---O- nr 12
>> ---O- nr 8
>> ---O- nr 4
>> ---O- nr 0
>>
>> to be always 4 semitones?
>>
>> Then many tasks such as transposing music to a different key would
>> become a simple math operation: simply add a number.
>>
>> Many musicians who play occasionally only would benefit a lot.
>>
>> Has anyone else thought about this before?
>>

> Sure, various people have come up with several interesting and
> useful (at least potentially useful) systems. I think in the end the
> trick is not so much coming up with a good system as getting people to
> adopt it. The "installed base" (to mis-use a term) of traditional
> notation is very large, and people who already know any system at all
> are reluctant to learn another unless it will bring them large and
> immediate benefits.
>
> In other words, your system is good but everybody will ignore you
> anyway. Sad, and not ideal, but I think it's true.

@Marc The website below may be of interest. It has a number of alternative
music notation systems that have been proposed as replacements for
traditional notation.

http://musicnotation.org/musicnotations/index.html

Many of them are quite clever but I think David's comment is correct.  It's
extremely difficult to get people to abandon what they've spent years
learning.

Cheers,
Mike